Turmeric is bright-yellow orange in color. It’s made from the turmeric root (rhizome). It has widely been used for its medicinal, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties for thousands of years.
Here are the most common uses of turmeric:
Used To Make A Variety Of Drugs
1. In medicine, it is used to make a variety of drugs:
A. Anti-inflammatory drugs
B. Anti-depressants like Prozac
C. It’s used in chemotherapy
E. Diabetes drugs such as Metformin
F. Anti-coagulants (blood-thinning drugs that prevent coagulation and prolonging clotting time)
H. Inflammatory bowel disease drugs
I. Cholesterol drugs (Lipitor)
J. Arthritis drugs
Prevent Prostate Cancer
2. Turmeric has been known to help prevent prostate cancer, stop the growth of existing prostate cancer cells, and at times even destroying the said cells. It’s a great protector against radiation-induced tumors.
3. It’s used to prepare turmeric tea, also known as golden milk. This is basically a mixture of milk (coconut or almond), sweetener and spices. It has a satisfyingly deep, earthy flavor.
4. Turmeric is also used in beauty to make soothing face masks. It’s simply added to any of the wide variety of face mask recipes.
5. Curry powder. Its lovely, earthy taste makes it a staple in many cuisines and this is its most common use.
6. It’s used to prepare smoothies. It is a great additive to add unique flavoring in drinks, particularly something with coconut milk or citrus drinks
7. Turmeric makes great acne gel. Considering that it has anti-inflammatory properties, it’s perfect for dealing with acne. A paste of honey and turmeric applied on the skin works really well.
8. It is used along with aloe vera gel to stop or soothe itching. This is done by applying a thin gel made from a mixture of turmeric and aloe vera. It soothes burnt skin as well.
9. Turmeric is a really effective poultice (a soothing remedy, mostly moist and soft held in place with a cloth to help relieve soreness and inflammation). This is the key reason it is used for preparations for skin with eczema or psoriasis.
10. It is a potent teeth whitener. This is achieved by simply brushing with turmeric powder. When you’re done, let it sit for 3-5 minutes then rinse. After that, brush normally with your usual tooth powder or toothpaste.
11. Turmeric is often used as a spice to many dishes. It is a great additive to eggs, vegetables, meats, and soups and it brings about great flavor.
Turmeric has many more uses, these are the most common.